Monday, February 22, 2010

IVY

I brought an ivy twig from my recent trip to Cote D'Azzure. There was this wonderful, old house in the village near Monte Carlo, covered in redish-brownish-yellowish-greenish ivy. Unfortunatelly, my camera batteries ran out so I didn't take the photograph. But it looked somehow like this ...

 

 

 

  

  

The colors were just amazing.
So, I picked up a few branches with some leaves.
I brought them home.
In some water, of course.
But, they were not very promising.
Very soon the leaves fell off the branches
and there was just a bare, dry twig left.
I left it on the window sill in a pot of water.
Today, I had a look and there was a surprise.
Three little leaves coming out!

  

  



I have never had green fingers and this is probably the first time I have grown out any greenery. Usually, plants just die out in my presence, no matter how nicely I treat them. Maybe this ivy has flourished just because I have forgotten about it (as you can see in the photo, the water hasn't been changed for weeks).

I have this idea of covering some walls in my garden with ivy but I also have no idea how long it will take the ivy to grow. In the meantime, I have also sort of stolen a few branches of green ivy from a garden I was passing by from my way to work. No problem with this sort. It's been flourishing in water, so very soon I will be planting it in the garden.




 



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails