Thursday, March 04, 2010

Wish you were...






Have you ever wished you lead someone else's life? Have you ever been a little bit envious about someone's life which has been, from your point of view, idylic or exciting, or just simply more interesting than yours? I don't think I have. It's not that I think my life is great, on the contrary, there are so many ways I would like to improve it. I would like to work less, have more money, be younger, slimmer, live in another town, have more interesting job, travel more...But so far, I haven't met a person whose life would be so perfect that I would like to trade it for my own. Until yesterday.


While surfing,  pretty accidentally, I came across  A Tale of Two Cities, a blog written by Debi.

 This is Debi


This is what she says about herself:
Juggling life in two cities is my challenge for this season of my life. Every month, my husband and I go back and forth between Houston, our hometown, and London for his job. Each city has its treasures. London: adventure, history, curiosities. Houston: grown children, granddaughter, and long-time friends. It's the best of times.
My interestsare: reading, French culture and history, Women's Bible studies, playing with my granddaughter.
My favourite music: Eva Cassidy, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Christian music.

I usually scan blogs quite superficially and very seldom have patience to read all the posts. But this one caught my attention and I found myself ingulfed in reading post after post. It wasn't even that the blog was designed the way I like. It was not an interior design blog that I usually like going through. But it was written by a witty and sofisticated lady who is leading a perfect life. It isn't a perfect life for everybody, but it certainly is for me. So, you might ask yourself, what is it, that appealed to me so much? Well, Debi is not young or super truper beautiful. She is not a succesful bussiness woman. She is neither one of those ultra creative woman who have advice on everything - from cooking to painting old furniture. Nope. Debi is an American lady of probably 50 (it's hard to guess her age, she is one of those well perserved women who age gracefully), a wife to a nice looking wealthy gentleman, mother of two dishy American guys who are married to some modellike blond girls, a grandmother of the sweetest little three year old girl....
     What is about her life that attracts me so much?


Is it the fact that she has the most wonderful marriage with a super succesful bussinessman, who works in a company that has offices in three countries? They seem to have the most caring and trustworthy relationship, in spite of him being very busy and working on two continents. She follows him everywhere, being it England, Scotland, Mexico (he has business meetings in some luxurious resort, and she makes him company there, too). Sigh.


Is it the fact that she has a wonderful family that she cares so much of? She has so much fun with her sister, her granddaughter Jordan or even her daughters-in-love - as she calls them.



Is it the fact that she doesn't slave over a tedious 9 to 5 job, having to provide for her family? I don't know if she has ever worked, but it seems more that she has been a full time housewife and mother. So, she has plenty of time for her interests, friends, travel, exploring the city of London, blogging,...

Is it the fact that she lives in my favourite city, in my favourite part of London - Chelsea, just off Kings Road?
And then, pops in the plane and travels to Houston, America (not that I envy her for flying over The Atlantic Ocean every month because I've got a fear of flying. Perhaps I am a bit envious that she hasn't got a fear of flying.)


Is it the fact that she can chose over three towns to celebrate Xmas in - London, Aberdeen, Houston...?




Is it the fact that she has faith in God?
She has so many things to be thankful for, and she is aware of that. So she praises God for her happiness, love and her fulfilled life. 


Is it the fact that she writes her blog in a humorous and interesting manner, or just the fact that she is open to new things, such as writing a blog, at her age? Is it the fact that she enjoys her life so much?

 And after having read most of her posts it seemed I've known her and her family for ages. She is all that I would like to be at her age, but her life is probably just the result of her wise choices, faith in God and all the love that she has been giving to people around her. And a little bit of luck, I dare say.
 
Debi, your life is just perfect! Or just... maybe.... it occured to me.....you are giving a picture of yourself that you want us to see. Are there some hidden, hard and not so joyful moments in your life that I am not aware of?

Anyway, when I grow up I want to be Debi. Check why, here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails